week 21 . i'm striving each day to become better than the day before

3.21.2016

Links in red [click for more info]

Yoo Hoo Family!!

This week was wonderful! I absolutely love it here in Turks and Caicos and I love Sister VanDerLeek so much! We are really working with the branch to help it to grow with the members that are coming pretty often as well as the less active members. 

We have a few really solid members in the branch that are absolutely amazing (and they feed us which is always a plus :)). We have Sister Patsy, who is from Yorba Linda, California (woot! woot!) [mom note: Yorba Linda is pretty close to where we live] and she is the Primary president. She is amazing and the Primary kids LOVE her!! And so do we :). And then there is the Chalas family. Brother Chalas is from the Dominican Republic and Sister Chalas is from Haiti. They have four children. Karen is the oldest and is in Dominican now, and then there is Yessi who is serving her mission in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (shout out to Shan) [mom note: Megan's (Em's sister) roommate at BYU] and then Miguel who is 16 and he is in his last year of school now and then Mikayla (her actual name is Love, but we call her by her middle name because her family does haha) and she is going into high school soon. Yessi, the one in Florida, was the girl who found me on Instagram before I came out so I actually talked to her a little before coming out on my mission. Crazy what social media can do haha. 

My Creole is slowly getting better, I still have a lot to learn, but I know that Heavenly Father is helping me A LOT!! We also speak to people from the DR [mom note: Dominican Republic] who speak espanol which I vaguely remember from high school, so I am kinda trying to remember Spanish, but I am focusing on  Creole because about 99.9% of the people on this island speak Creole haha (definitely an over exaggeration). 

This week we went finding for quite a few hours because we feel like there is someone on this island that the Lord really wants us to find and share the gospel with. There is an area on the island we call government homes which is kinda weird because all the homes are uniform and remind me of home haha. But we decided to go and knock doors which was interesting because I have never done that on my mission and knocking doors is really different from talking to people that you meet on the street. So we did that and got rejected by some people and some people were obviously inside but just didn't come to the door haha. But we went to knock on this one door and just as we were walking up the steps the door opened and a younger guy came out without a shirt on and awkwardly looked at us and then he asked us to wait a second and he went inside and put a shirt on and changed his pants for some reason haha. And then he came back out and talked with us. He is 23 and he just moved back from Canada and he is living with his parents and his little siblings. He doesn't have a job right now (which is a miracle because everyone on this island works 24/7) and he told us we can come back anytime because he is always home watching his siblings. TENDER MERCIES!!!

This week I was reading in the November 2014 Conference Ensign and I came across a talk called "Lord, Is It I?" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf and it was sooo good!!! I loved the whole talk, but one of the parts that really stood out to me is when he said: "...when we start believing that our contributions at home, at work, and at church are greater than they actually are, we blind ourselves to blessings and opportunities to improve ourselves in significant and profound ways." I think this is great advice as a missionary, no matter what I can always do more and I should never see my contribution as greater than what it actually is. I am striving each day to become better than the day before. I LOVE MISSIONARY WORK!!!

Love you all! Have a wonderful week! 

Love,

Sister Baker

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |