week 20 . my "english speaking" mission

3.14.2016

Links in red [click for more info]

Yoo Hoo Family!!

I made it to Providenciales!! I flew on a small little plane and had a short layover in Haiti before arriving on the island (what is my life?). 


[mom note: this 20 seater, everyone gets a window seat plane may stop me from ever visiting Emily's mission. Good thing she doesn't mind flying otherwise her transfer would have been a nightmare]

Sister VanDerLeek is absolutely AMAZING and I am very excited to work with her. She is so positive and happy and she knows her scriptures well. I am learning A LOT from her already!!




And yeah... I am learning Haitian Creole haha. Since coming onto the island I have learned that Creole is kind of like the Patois for French so there are not a lot of books or study materials for it. But I have picked up a little bit already and I am praying daily to be able to learn the language. I am reading from the Creole Book of Mormon every day and in lessons I will read the scriptures or the pamphlet in Creole and ask the investigators/members to correct me if I say anything wrong. It has been really good and I feel that in this short time that I have been here I have been able to learn a lot about pronunciation of words as well as a lot of the important gospel words in Creole.

We had a lesson this week with a young woman named Jessica who is wonderful! She is 18 and she speaks English (all of the younger kids speak English because they go to school in English). We asked her what she remembered about the Restoration from what the sisters had taught her and she gave us an overview of the whole restoration lesson. She bore her testimony to us that she knows the Book of Mormon is true and the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Gods true church on the earth. But, she hasn't been able to come to church because her uncle is a strong Baptist and he does not want her to come to church. We are really praying for her and that her uncle's heart will soften and that she will find a way to make it to church because she believes in the gospel so strongly!

I also got to meet a recent convert named Joaquin. He is from the Dominican Republic and he has a strong testimony of the gospel as well. When I first met him, I greeted both he and his wife with the small amount of Spanish that I remember from high school and he was so happy about it haha. Throughout the lesson I tried to speak Spanish where I could as well because although he speaks English, we had to teach very simply for him to understand what we were saying. 

That is the biggest thing about teaching people in English. Because it is not their first language, they don't get the full concept of what we are trying to share sometimes. And even with a translator, it does not always translate over perfectly. This is why I really want to work to learn Creole and not just rely on translators. I want to be able to testify and teach these people in their native tongue. I know that this is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication but I look forward to the experiences that I will gain. 

The church is true!!! I love being a missionary!! 

Love you all!!! Have a wonderful week!!

Love,

Sister Baker



Book of Mormons in English, Haitian Creole, French, Spanish, and Dutch 

1 comment :

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |