week 4 . i'm not witty enough to think of titles

11.23.2015

Links in red [click for more info]

[mom note: We receive pictures after posting Emily's letter last week. Those pictures have been added to two posts, here and here]

Yoo Hoo Family!!!

Okay... This week was amazing!

First, in those pictures I sent today...

The one of Sister Bogle and I with another girl our age (I'm wearing a yellow shirt in it). That is Jerri-Ann. She is a member in the branch, she is 19 just a couple months older than me and she is the most amazing member missionary! She comes teaching with us at least once a week and I am so thankful for her and her desire to do missionary work. She is working on her mission papers now... I AM SO EXCITED FOR HER and the people that she is going to teach, they will all love her!!

Emily, Sister Bogle and Jerri-Ann

The pictures of the younger girls on the porch: The older of the two is Sasha-Lee, she is 9 and she is so amazing. She is a recent convert and has a powerful testimony for someone who is so young. The other little girl is her sister Sachoney (she is either 3 or 4... I cannot remember haha). They both give the best hugs and I want to take them with me everywhere I go! Their mom is Sister Barrett, she is a less active member of the branch. We have FHE at their home most Monday nights and I love their family!! They make me feel right at home!

Sasha-Lee, Sachoney and Sister Bogle








We had Zone Conference [mom note: a meeting where missionaries from around the area meet together] this week and it was soooooo wonderful!! President and Sister Brown talked about the importance of baptism and retention. Our goal is to baptize by Christmas, then by New Year, then by Valentines Day, and so on haha. But it really was such an amazing zone conference, and it made me more eager to do missionary work. I am lucky I got to attend a zone conference this close to the beginning of my mission. Another thing I really liked was the section where we separated and Sister Brown taught all the sisters (6 of us) about the worth of women in the church. It was a very powerful lesson and a good reminder.

Looks like Emily was able to see her MTC companion, Sister Boekweg at the Zone Conference
After Zone Conference Sister Brown asked if she could come teaching with Sister Bogle and I. IT WAS SO AMAZING!!! We went to visit a couple families that we felt prompted to go see and the spirit was so strong. Sister Brown has such a powerful testimony and she is soooooo loving!

That hill that I sent you a picture of is the walk up to one of the houses that we visit. Sister Foskin is a less active member in the branch and she lives there with her daughter Teja who is 11 and her mom, Monica. We took sister Brown to their house when we went teaching and she was dying the whole hike up haha. We saw President and Sister Brown the next day and she said her legs were still sore from the hike up there haha.

Looking up the hill
Looking down the hill
At church on Sunday, all of the talks were on the Book of Mormon. It was a powerful meeting and it was good for all of the investigators who were there to hear others testimonies of the Book of Mormon. Brother Armstrong, a counselor from the branch presidency gave a talk on the Book of Mormon and I kid you not, that man is the Jamaican Brother Greiner! He was baptized in 2001 or 2004 and has already read the Book of Mormon over 140 times. He has practically the entire book memorized and has such a powerful testimony of this gospel! He is a great member of the branch, and he makes us dinner every Sunday too :) He is an amazing cook!

Sister Bogle and I were watching the Joseph Smith movie yesterday and while I was watching it I realized that Luke is 14!! [mom note: Luke is Emily's little brother] Luke, you are the same age that Joseph Smith was when he saw God and Jesus Christ... CRAZY!!!!!! I was just thinking how I would react if Luke came in from the backyard and told me he had prayed and seen a vision. CRAZY!!! haha... that is so random, but I felt like I should share. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING BREAK FAMILY!!!! I almost forgot about Thanksgiving haha, but I will have my own little Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday, maybe I'll make a turkey sandwhich... YUM!

[mom note: the next bit of her letter is her answering questions we asked]

Mom, I get wifi at the church building. It just isn't the same as the world wide church wifi, so I had to get the password from someone first. 

Yes, the yellow and turquoise chapel is where we go to church. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful building. I LOVE THE COLORS!!! [mom note: see pictures in last weeks post]

Dad, they are doing 3 weeks in the MTC again... CRAZY!!!! I can't decide how I feel about it haha. Because when they do it in 2 weeks they throw a lot at you haha, but I was really eager and excited to get out into the mission field. But, they are inspired men who are doing what the Lord has commanded them, so I am sure it is for the best.

As far as driving goes, it is not like Kingston where it is all super city driving, but Sister Brown was saying when she came teaching with us that Montego Bay is the hardest place to drive. So it is traffic-y, but the driving here is just super different from home haha. They drive on the opposite side of the car, on the opposite side of the road and the taxi drivers just sort of make their own laws haha, but it really isn't scary, it feels normal already. 

When we walk, it is all pretty flat, there are little hills here and there but they aren't too bad. Sister Bogle said that there were worse hills in some of her past walking/biking areas, so I am preparing myself mentally for that haha. 

The heat is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have worn my hair down a decent amount of times. I still sweat daily, but so does everyone else so its not a big deal haha. And I smell clean, so its all good!

All my clothes are great and so are all of my shoes. I wear them all pretty evenly. The black Nordstrom ones are definitely my favorite and I actually wear the jellies alot. I wear them when it rains because they don't have to sit and dry forever if they get wet. 

Troy is doing well. His baptismal date is December the 19th. He is progressing slowly, but I hope that he will be ready by that date. We pray for him often and we are really hoping that he will be ready. He is at church every Sunday and comes to a lot of the other branch activities. 

There are so many other amazing people that we are teaching. We have recently started to focus on part member families, even those who are less active, because their family members that have not been baptized just seem really prepared. 

I love all of the people here so much. I am learning new things every day and I am eager to learn more.

Thank you for the constant love and support from home!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!

Love, 
Sister Baker

Mom- 

1. I have already used an entire journal so next time you send a package, if you could fit a couple journals that would be great. I have five left, so no need to rush, but if I keep using them at the pace I am now I'm going to need a couple more haha.

2. I got your letter that you wrote in October and the one you wrote November 5th. They gave them to me at zone conference so I don't know what exact day they got here, but thank you for the letters!!!


LOVE YOU LOTS!!! Have a good week! Enjoy Thanksgiving break!

Sister Bogle
Cruise ship...we couldn't figure out why she took a picture but we think maybe she hasn't seen one before.
Sister Bogle and Emily sending pday emails home

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |