week 3 . days feel like weeks, weeks feel like days

11.16.2015

Links in red [click for more info]

[mom note: After posting this letter we ended up getting pictures from Emily. Pictures have been added to this post as well as the post found here]

Hello Family!!!! 

Oh my goodness, that whole "days feel like weeks, weeks feel like days" thing is sooo true! How is it already Monday again?!? 

First, thank you to everyone for emailing me! I love hearing from people and I try to respond to as many people as possible, but my brain is too frazzled to email everyone in an hour haha. So if I dont respond, just keep emailing me until I do haha. 

Okay, I already responded to Rae about this, but GHANA!!!!!!! That is so amazing, he is going to be the greatest missionary!! I am so excited for him and know that he will do amazing things! [mom note: Emily's friend just received his mission call to Ghana]

Okay... Mom I am going to try and answer everything....

I cannot think of anything specific for Christmas. We both love music and we are in the car all the time, so new CD's would be nice haha.

If you havent sent the Christmas package yet, I would LOVE the Conference Ensign [mom note: a church magazine] and maybe a couple pairs of those baby socks from Target. OH and refills for that marking pencil thing from Andrea :). If you have already sent it, don't stress about any of those things, I can make it work without them haha. 

I got the journal in the MTC that you sent and have already put it to use. Thank you so much for sending it, I needed it!

The branch isn't huge, but we have a good amount of people. The YSA [mom note: Young Single Adults] don't have a separate branch because there aren't enough of them, but they have their own YSA classes after sacrament. [mom note: In areas where there are a lot of young single adults (like a college town) they will have their own ward/branch/congregation] The branch is amazing and they are all so kind to me. I am still working on all of there names haha, but I am figuring it out slowly.

[mom note: none of the pictures came with an explanation...I assume this is their church building. I love the bright colors.]

We drive most places. The zone leaders in our district have a truck too but it is in the shop right now so they dropped us off to email and they took our truck to go get hair cuts and get some shopping done. We walk a little, but our area is pretty big so we drive to each place and then just park and walk around the area we are teaching/finding in. 

The food is delicious!!! Lots and lots of chicken (yes it is on the bone... I don't think boneless exists anywhere on this island haha) But it is all so delicious!!!! [mom note: she mentioned chicken on the bone because until we took her to a Jamaican restaurant to celebrate her mission call she had never eaten chicken on the bone. When the waitress brought out her jerk chicken she looked up at Derek and I with slight panic and asked "how am I suppose to eat this?" Apparently I cook to much boneless, skinless chicken haha]

We drive by the beach, but it is mostly ocean, not a lot of sandy beaches near by. All the sandy beaches have huge hotels right by them. Everytime we drive by the ocean though I roll down my window and just take in the beautiful smell of salt water:)

So many spiritual experiences! I think my favorite thing personally so far on the mission is focusing on what I see during my prayers. That may sound weird, but we talked about it a little in the MTC and my companion and I talked about it as well. I think when we pray, we don't always think about what we see, we just know that we are kneeling wherever we are and closing our eyes. I have tried to think more about the fact that I am talking to God when I pray. I picture Him sitting right there next to me. Sometimes just sitting and listening, other times hugging/comforting me and it has made my prayers a very spiritual and sincere experience. 

For the blessing, I could print it, but it costs money and takes time from the short hour I have so I think it would be better if you mailed it. Thanks so much!! [mom note: regarding something she wanted sent to her]

The Patois... oh boy haha. Everyone speaks it, but they also speak English. The Patois comes out more when people start to get passionate or really into a story, but everyone I have talked with is aware of the fact that I have been in Jamaica for like two weeks and they all try to talk slower. And when they do talk in Patios, and I say "what?" or just give them a blank stare they will repeat it to me in English haha. But I do understand little parts of Patios. It will come eventually haha.



Okay, I read a talk this week by President Monson called Pathways to Perfection from a General Conference in 2002. It was soo good and I LOVED the story that he shared at the end. I have reread the story at least 5 times already and I cry every time because it is so amazing. So, if you have time, read it!!!! It is worth it!!

I love you all so very much! These past couple weeks have been some of the most amazing weeks EVER! It is not always easy, but it is so worth it! I am so happy to be here serving the Lord, to find His children, my brothers and sisters, that He has prepared to receive His gospel. 

The people here are so amazing and I am going to die when I have to leave Montego Bay. When I met everyone and told them this was my first area they all laughed and said "we are going to spoil you" and it is so true. I LOVE THESE PEOPLE TO PIECES!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful week!! Thank you for all the love, support and prayers. I can feel the prayers and they mean the world to me, so thank you!!

Don't stop when you're tired...stop when you're done

So much love,

Sister Baker

[mom note: these next photos are of her apartment]















No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |